What to expect from LED light therapy?
So, you’ve decided to step into the light, but what can you expect? After your skin has been assessed, your esthetician will first cleanse and exfoliate your face to unclog dirty pores. You’ll then be asked to pop on a pair of goggles to protect those peepers (the lights are, unsurprisingly, bright). Here’s where the magic happens. The fancy machine is gently lifted over your head, where bursts of different coloured LED lights will be triggered, each performing a different job (more on these later on) to alleviate skin problems. That’s it! You’ll leave post treatment with radiant skin you can really see and feel.
Good to know
- A LED light therapy treatment takes about 15 to 30 minutes.
- We recommend you avoid this kind of treatment if you’re prone to photosensitivity.
- LED Light Therapy requires no downtime (no red or peeling skin of redness here!), making this treatment the perfect pick-me-up before a big night out.
- Suffer from epilepsy or porphyria? You may want to check with individual treatment centres or your local physician before booking a session.
- If you’re a mum-to-be, you should double check with your doctor before considering LED light therapy.
- Light therapy also heals skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis!
The sciencey stuff
Believe it or not, but the colours of the LED lights each serve a different function to promote skin health. Blue lights help to kill off bacteria, breaking down naturally occurring chemicals that cause acne and spots; while red light aids collagen production. Infrared light on the other hand penetrates even deeper cell layers, helping tighten skin and combat wrinkles. Talk about enlightening...